Your voice on campus!

Student FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

We've put together a list of Frequently Asked Questions to help students during this uncertain time.
Always check your Official Communication Channel (OCC) on OASIS for all formal notices from Curtin University for up to date information and any significant changes.

Jump to:

• Exams

• Assignments

• Assessments, Practicals & Tests

• Education, Grades & Fees

• Library

• Health & Wellbeing

• Further contact


What's the maximum weighting for exams?
No exams should be worth more than 50% of your final grade (unless required for accreditation).

How will online exams work?
For units that require an invigilated examination for accreditation, online invigilation software will be used.
Curtin uses an in-house software called IRIS.
Find our more information on IRIS

Can I defer exams?
Yes. Always contact your Unit Coordinator as soon as possible, exams can be requested for deferral through the request alternate exam form in your OASIS and through the assessment extension application.

Can I opt out of online exams?
We recommend discussing your alternative options with your Unit Coordinators. Online assessments can take multiple forms, occasionally in a postal paper exam. Contact Curtin Connect if you need further support. 



Late assignment penalities?
Curtin has told Unit Coordinators to remove late assessment penalties wherever possible. Unit Coordinators are being asked to communicate any changes to their students. At the same time students are being asked to continue to submit assessment extension requests which permit self-certification (i.e. no medical certificate required).

If you are not satisfied with the advice from your Unit Coordinator, please contact Student Assist or your Guild Faculty representative for advocacy.

Group Assignment maximum weighting?
There is no prescription of maximum weighting for group assignments, but there are strict guidelines around how must be conducted. Assessment tasks which involve group work will demonstrate how the basis for marks for group processes and/or individual processes is fair, transparent and defensible.
Assessment and Student Progression Manual (2.7/Page 9)

Academic decisions against me?
You have the right to appeal an academic decision relating to you.
Refer to - Assessment and Student Progressions Manual: Assessment Appeals.

Assessments, Practicals & Tests 


Assessment Policy Handbook
The Guild has developed this Assessment Policy Handbook to help you understand the nitty-gritty of your academic life.
Download the Assessment Policy Handbook here.

What is the maximum number of Assessments I can have?
25 CREDIT UNIT - No more than 3 summative assessments.
12.5 CREDIT UNIT - No more than 2 summative assessments.
PER UNIT - No more than 1 incremental assessment.

Incremental assessments are assessment items that are split into smaller parts (eg. weekly online labs, weekly lab reports etc.). Summative assessments is interchangeable with 'assessment tasks', ie. the number of boxes under 'Assessment Schedule' on your unit outline.

What happens to my prac due to COVID-19?
Contact your unit coordinator for this information.

What happens to my labs due to COVID-19?
All labs are being transferred to online delivery.

Education, Grades & Fees 

Are Abacus labs still open?
Yes! Labs are accessible by swipe card access only and social distancing measures have been applied.

I can't get in contact with my Unit Coordinator

If you can't get in contact with your unit coordinator, get in contact with your Guild Faculty representative so they can assist in the process.

How do I opt in for the ungraded pass system? 
All students will receive final grades as usual, but for affected study periods students who have passed their unit will have the option of either accepting their grade/mark, or accepting a pass for the unit.
This will be available within units except where a grade/mark is essential (e.g. Honours units). After the final marks have been released, students can, on an individual basis, request that the University replaces their mark with a ‘P’ (pass) designation that does not count towards their semester and course weighted averages.

Students have been asked to contact Curtin Connect if they require further information. 

What's happening with the opt in ungraded fail system?
At this stage, the university agreed to an opt-in ungraded pass system. The Guild is still lobbying for students who fail their units this semester. This is something that we're still working on and will keep you updated.

How do I study at home?
Your Student Representatives have put together some tips to help you study productively at home.
Home Study tips

Do I have to pay for parking?
Paid parking returns to the Bentley campus as of July 1.

Do we need to do anything with SSAF credits?
No. SSAF credits will be applied to charges automatically.

To request a refund, there is a form that is available from Curtin Connect to have your SSAF Refunded, it takes 28 days to process.

What happens to graduation ceremonies?
Students will still be able to graduate but the official ceremonies will not be held until social distancing restrictions are lifted.

What if my course cannot go online?
All courses should be available online. Some may experience timing or unit changes to adjust to the online space this semester. If you are worried about your course progression, please contact Curtin Connect or your Course Coordinator.


How do I access library services?
TL Robertson Library will be open 24/7 from Monday 3 August, with swipe access for staff and students only. Visitors to the Library need to comply with social distancing and hygiene rules. Occupancy limits also apply to Library buildings.
The Makerspace will reopen from Monday - Friday, 12pm to 5pm by appointment. Appointments may be taken at the door, however, to avoid disappointment, you can schedule ahead at makerspace@curtin.edu.au. 

Group study rooms are available for bookings from Monday 3 August for small groups. Occupancy limits apply to group study rooms.

You can now request and recall books. Any items you have may be recalled and you will be required to return them. We will let you know via email or OCC if you need to return items.

Library Services can be accessed through your student OASIS under the "My Library" Tab. Here you can access your useful links for the library website, journal databases, workshops and much more.

Library Help
Study Skills
Study and Research Guides

Health & Wellbeing 


I'm sick during COVID-19, do I need a medical certificate?
No. To help reduce the burden on health services in the community, from Monday 23 March you will no longer be required to submit a medical certificate in support of an assessment extension application. As usual, you will need to explain why you are seeking an extension as part of the approval process.

Is there food assistance available?
Yes, you can apply through the Guild's website. Food hampers are available for pick up at the Bentley campus. For those unable to leave your homes, the Guild can make arrangements to have the hamper delivered to you.
Apply here.

What mental health services are available?
There are plenty of services on and off campus that can help you get back on the figurative horse! We've compiled a list of resources here.

Curtin Student Wellbeing
It’s free to call the Student Wellbeing Hotline on 1800 244 043.  

Student Assist

Further contact 

Curtin Connect: 
(08) 9266 5888 or 1300 222 888

Student Assist: 
Please include your name, student number, course of study and a description of your query.

Email: student.assist@guild.curtin.edu.au
Phone: (08) 9266 2900
Free call: 1800 063 865

Building 106F, Curtin University
Monday to Friday, 9am - 4pm

Students at the Kalgoorlie WASM campus are welcome to contact us.

This Carers Week (11th-17th October)

Share your support to those who provide care to family and friends. Get involved!


Guild gives you awesome discounts on campus and online. Check it out!